Tuesday, January 08, 2008



Circulars
Think, Ruth, think, either you can get whale catching lines, or the terrible aquarium foses they use, I guess you have better ideas than those!. I needed something flexible, but strong, so, what about a tennis cord?. They are flexible, and strong, size?, almost the same than the boughted ones, really, and coated almost thousand times with different things. So I prepare my wooden points, and with my Dremel, I made a hole, the same size the cord was. 1,5-1,8 mm. That is not all, the cord has a very smoth surface, and that means it can comes out more easy, so with the little cutter, I made some little cuts, all over the surface that will go inside. I used an epoxic glue, and silicone for the outer part. I was so scared that I will make a hole out of my number 1-2 circulars, if happens, first don't panic, you can always use teflon tape, or garlic, rubbed, let it dry, and sandpaper (that is what I do for my furniture), or just wood dust and glue, just Elmer's, after you have the cord glued to your wood point. The next day you can use sandpaper, and here nothing terrible happens, lucky me, it doesn't happened. The bamboo sticks, those were impossible for me, as they have a rough texture, so I didn't bother more, those are my dear dpn's. What I wanted were short circulars, so it was kind of difficult to get a nice photo. Let them dry overnight, and the next day, I worked the cord-wood joint, very gently, with the cuter, wasn't difficult, really, and then sandpaper, always believing my fingertips, with the cutter, I took away any trace of glue. And yes, if you make little cuts, they glue better, 2 rough surfaces does, uh?.
Once finished (I tried with 7 sizes and shapes), I washed them, let them dry, next day the oil, and the beeswax. Sure, you can add before some weird color, food grade, I tried blue, just like the difference. Here are some pics.
Well, you must read from "go to top", my fault.
Here some explanation, handcrafts here means rough, bad shape, do you find that more "typical"?, for me is lazy hands and minds. So I insist in the oil and the beeswax, our work must be neat, I think, lol, now I block my knitting, and one more thing, we are doing wood tools, so the little sizes make them much shorter, so they will not break, it happened to me, with my very first circular, no more than 3-3.5".

1 comment:

  1. usted hizo un trabajo excelente en los ganchos que usted hizo. Muy me impresionan con su trabajo. rivera del liz

    ReplyDelete