Tuesday, January 08, 2008


How to make your own needles and hooks.
Hate when somebody posts anything, and "for your personnal use only", something like that, so here I go, do it,it is fun, what YOU want, and if you can get some extra money, be my guest (please mail me, I like to know how it worked for you). Just a little contribution of all the nice things you all have taught me.
As many of you know, I live in a little town, I just moved to a house, with my Cristina, we are so happy here, fantastic view of Vina del Mar (the garden city), and Valparaiso, our main seaport. I need always more, so, imagine my frustration when I can't find a thing I want, soy silk, bamboo yarn,how is to knit or crochet with them?, how is the texture?, lol, but those are almost impossible, unless, who knows?.
The idea cross my mind, when I saw an advertisement of "square needles", that was so weird, never heard of that, until I suscribed to some knitting and crochet magazines.
First, the wood. I was looking for some special paper, second floor of the little library, then I saw high school and architecture students special sticks, round, square, and from 1mm up to well bigger than a broomstick. Also I own a Dremel-like tool, cheaper, but works fine. I went also to a big store in Vina, almost as a Home Depot, where I bought sandpaper, 3 kinds, and dowels, that I knew they had, because I made a 2 CD's drop spindle, with a dowel. Also, I needed pencils, cardboard cutters, just the hobby ones.
First my square needles, using a pencil sharpener, I line the middle, and gave shape with the cutters, finished with sandpaper. I do like my things the better I can, even if it is wood, it is a very good one. Once I founded the right point shape, I washed them, and paper dry. There goes my needles and dpn's, the same way.
For the little numbers needles or dpn's, I founded bamboo skewers, those for your BBQ's. Until here, nothing new. For cutting them I used a kids saw, and tons of sandpaper, lying on the floor, at first, so cover any surface, the dust goes all over. For stopers for my needles, some biger beads, or a piece of bigger dowel. That was not all, I use real lineseed oil to protect my work, and, sure, beeswax all over. I added it after dried of the oil, melted in a double boiler. Gently, with a not sharpen knife I took away all the excess, then with an old wool cloth, bright and smothness. They are with the point, lenght, size I wanted. Either you use water, and cream, (I make mine, that is why I have beeswax), or some thin gloves. My camera is not that expensive either, so I assure you that the needles are straight, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment